Sheriff Fontoura Recommends Child Safety Tips for School and Play
- Encourage your children to walk and play with friends.
- Advise your children to avoid places of potential danger such as vacant buildings, alleys, new construction or wooded areas.
- Ensure that your children take the safest route home from school, shopping and friends’ homes.
- Teach your children to travel with confidence when walking through your neighborhood and to be alert to their surroundings.
- Insist that your children do not wear expensive jewelry or clothing to school.
- Require your children to “check-in” with a parent or trusted neighbor as soon as they arrive home from school.
- Listen carefully to your children’s fears and feelings about people and places that scare them or make them feel uneasy, and take complaints about bullies seriously.
- Instruct your children to settle arguments with words, not fists or weapons.
- Educate your children about the danger of guns and knives.
- Counsel your children to report weapon-carrying classmates or friends to school officials or law enforcement authorities.