News Release

News Release

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Newark – Essex County sheriff’s officers arrested two male suspects in separate incidents last night in the city’s North and West wards.

Sheriff Armando Fontoura said that officers from his department’s Patrol Division were flagged down by a 54-year-old male victim on South 16th Street who stated that he had just been assaulted and robbed of $500 in Indian rupees by a male suspect.

“Moments later, our officers spotted the suspect walking along South 16th Street at a very rapid pace,” Sheriff Fontoura said.  “When our officers ordered the suspect to stop he ran from the scene but was quickly taken into custody.”

The suspect, later identified as Curtis Spears, 52 of Newark, was found to be in possession of the foreign currency.

Spears was charged with aggravated assault, robbery and resisting arrest.  He was also found to be the subject of an open warrant issued by the Newark municipal court.

Spears is being held at the county jail in lieu of a cash bond only of $125,000.  It is expected that he will be arraigned on Monday, July 18th.

“Our patrol division officers also conducted a motor vehicle stop at 10:30 p.m. on Thursday at the intersection of 7th and Mt. Prospect avenues,” Fontoura added.

James Lewis, 46 of Roselle, was the driver of a 2004 Ford F-15 pick-up truck that was flashing numerous red, amber and white lights and emblazoned with numerous Newark Police Department decals.

“During questioning, Lewis could not produce his driver’s registration card and our officers could plainly see that Lewis was wearing a Newark Police Department hat,” Fontoura added.  “Inside the suspect vehicle, Lewis had a bullet-proof vest, a police baton, handcuffs and a bottle of oleoresin capsicum (pepper spray).”

It was later determined that Lewis was neither a law enforcement officer nor an employee of a private security firm.  The suspect was found to be the owner of PBS Parking Boot Service.

Lewis was issued summonses for failure to have a permit for emergency lights and the possession of handcuffs, oleoresin and a police baton.

Lewis was released in his own recognizance and will be arraigned on July 28th.