Safety Tips for Senior Citizens
Sheriff Fontoura Offers Safety Tips for Senior CitizensSenior citizens can protect themselves by learning basic crime prevention precautions. It helps to know how criminals operate and how to make crime difficult. Remember, senior citizens don't have to feel helpless. On the Telephone
- Don't give personal or financial information over the phone.
- Hang up on nuisance callers and report them.
- Have your social security or pension check deposited directly into your account.
- Keep money and securities in a bank.
- Mark all your valuables with an ID number.
- Have neighbors watch each others homes and form security patrols.
- Do laundry, shopping or errands in groups.
- When crossing the streets, even in a crosswalk, never assume the driver will see you or be able to stop in time.
- Have your key out and ready.
- Have the driver watch until you are inside.
- Don't enter an elevator alone with a stranger.
- Be alert to anyone hiding nearby.
- Install and use a peephole. Never open your door to strangers.
- Keep doors and windows locked.